Friday, January 4, 2013

Reflection/Compilation

I read 72 books I'd never read before last year!  Here they are, in all their mixed glory (books I highly recommend are in bold!):

The Help, Kathryn Stockett
Naamah's Blessing, Jacqueline Carey
Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern
Swamplandia!, Karen Russell
French Milk, Lucy Knisley
A Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett
Kraken, China Mieville
Wintersmith, Terry Pratchett
The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi
The Looking Glass Wars, Frank Beddor
The Man in the High Castle, Philip K. Dick
White Cat, Holly Black
The Reapers, John Connolly
The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
Staying Fat For Sarah Byrnes, Chris Crutcher
Uglies, Scott Westerfeld
Pretties, Scott Westerfeld
Moon Over Manifest, Clare Vanderpool
Behemoth, Scott Westerfeld
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin
Simon Bloom, Gravity Keeper, Michael Riseman
When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead
Graceling, Kristen Cashore
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
Revolver, Marcus Sedgwick
The Outcast Dead, Graham McNeill
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, Jenny Lawson
Deliverance Lost, Gav Thorpe
Goliath, Scott Westerfeld
Know No Fear, Dan Abnett
Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel
The Secret Lives of Dresses, Erin McKean
I Shall Wear Midnight, Terry Pratchett
The Black Angel, John Connolly
Cinder, Marissa Meyer
Railsea, China Mieville
The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
Aliens Omnibus vol. 1, Various Authors
Lockdown, Alexander Gordon-Smith
Fablehaven, Brandon Mull
Full Dark, No Stars, Stephen King
Age of Darkness, ed. Christian Dunn
Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan, John Flanagan
Messy, Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
State of Wonder, Anne Patchett
Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star, Brandon Mull
Desperation, Stephen King
Bones of the Yopasi, Graham McNeill
11/22/63, Stephen King
Americus, MK Reed and Jonathan Hill
The Chosen One, Carol Lynch Williams
Iron Warriors Omnibus, Graham McNeill
The Family Fang, Kevin Wilson
Nothing, Janne Teller
Muchacho, LouAnne Johnson
Feed, Mira Grant
Fear to Tread, James Swallow
My Name Is Not Easy, Debby Dahl Edwardson
Batgirl vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection, Gail Simone and Ardian Syaf
Suicide Squad vol. 1: Kicked in the Teeth, Adam Glass and Frederico Dallocchio
Batman vol. 1: The Court of Owls, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
Life of Pi, Yann Martell
Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein
Master of Disguise, Antonio J. Mendez
Deadline, Mira Grant
Snuff, Terry Pratchett
The Whisperers, John Connolly
Blackout, Mira Grant
Redshirts, John Scalzi
The Luxe, Anna Godbersen
The White Road, John Connolly

Holy shit, you guys, I read A LOT OF THINGS in 2012.  Mostly science fiction and young adult, with some horror and realistic fiction thrown in there every once in a while.  I read the first book of a couple of series which I either didn't go back to or revisited only once, and which I'd like to pick up again (White Cat by Holly Black and the Fablehaven books by Brandon Mull, mostly.  I'm still working through Connolly's Charlie Parker books.), and some things I won't be wasting anymore time on (I have zero desire to read the follow-ups to Cinder and The Looking Glass Wars).

I know I'm a librarian and thus biased, but access to the library was pretty quintessential to reaching my goal this year.  I did a lot of random browsing - looking at the shelves and picking up things that looked interesting (I wouldn't have read State of Wonder, Lockdown, or The Luxe without the library, just because they weren't on my radar otherwise).  Likewise, there are a lot of books here that I read for literature classes and might not have known about otherwise, and which I'm incredibly pleased they were brought to my attention (Code Name Verity, Nothing, and Revolver are particular standouts).

For 2013, I'd like to see if I can hit/exceed 52 books again, and I'm going to try to read new stuff, but I'll also be rereading things as the mood strikes me.  My main resolution is to mix up what I read - for every sci-fi or YA novel I read, I'm going to read one non-fiction or historical fiction book that I've never read before. Hopefully, this will pull me out of my comfort zone a little, and give me a chance to find things I really would never have picked up before.

I'm also joining a book club!  We'll be reading a book a month, and deciding on the next month's book together.  Each book club book I read will get its own extended discussion entry, recapping what we talked about and getting deeper into how I felt about it.  Our first book is going to be The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Philips, which I've never heard of before but sounds pretty fun!  STAY TUNED.

My Five Favorite Reads of 2012:
11/22/63, Stephen King
Goliath, Scott Westerfeld
Kraken, China Mieville
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, Jenny Lawson
Ready Player One, Ernest Cline

My Five Least Favorite Reads of 2012:
Cinder, Marissa Meyer
Deliverance Lost, Gav Thorpe
The Looking Glass Wars, Frank Beddor
Pretties, Scott Westerfeld
The Reapers, John Connolly

No comments: